Mood swings, cravings, and desperation are all normal aspects of living a life of active addiction. Once a person is able to kick their habit and put in the work needed to get better they will begin to experience emotional equilibrium. After quitting alcohol, weight loss is relatively easy with a good diet and exercise plan. Imagine how great it will feel to not only be alcohol free, but also to lose weight and look healthier. It may help to point out to a male patient that, if they quit drinking, blood pressure and blood flow throughout their body will improve. Erectile dysfunction often improves dramatically without alcohol.
- In short, eliminating drinking and living sober jumpstarts a feeling of being more alive.
- One of the best ways to minimize future regret and to increase the things you are grateful for is to start an alcohol treatment program.
- Yet, it should still be discussed clearly with the patient who presents for alcohol addiction treatment, that there are major physical health benefits to quitting alcohol.
- My body was spending all its time trying to rid itself of alcohol that there was little left over to fight other infections, bugs, colds, flu, and more.
This thickening and hardening of your artery walls can cause serious health conditions including heart attacks, strokes or an arrhythmia (irregular heart beat). Alcohol also affects the way your central nervous system functions. Initially, it can slow your breathing and lower your heart rate and blood pressure. This can leave you feeling drowsy and can cause you to fall asleep quickly.
Benefits of An Alcohol-Free Lifestyle
It is incredibly difficult to quit using drugs and alcohol, however, this decision has significant benefits. Of course, abstaining from drug and alcohol use doesn’t mean all your problems will disappear, but it does mean you will regain control over your life. Living a drug-free life means improved relationships, increased productivity, and more. Find out which benefit of leading a substance-free lifestyle that would help you the most. Yet, it should still be discussed clearly with the patient who presents for alcohol addiction treatment, that there are major physical health benefits to quitting alcohol. As that patient moves forward with treatment, they will gradually become more concerned about their physical health.
Join our newsletter to be part of a community of people with shared experiences. This is a great asset to those struggling with their benefits of living an alcohol and drug free lifestyle own personal battles. Our quarterly newsletter reminds you that others have gone down this path and can provide valuable support.
The Top 25 Benefits of Living Alcohol-Free in Midlife
If PAWS is severe or if you’re experiencing prolonged symptoms, a medical professional can help you work through them and remain in recovery without relapse. This article discusses what sobriety means and describes strategies that can support your long-term recovery. It also covers tips on how to deal with the challenges you’ll face on your journey to sobriety.
- For more tips on health and wellness, or to schedule an appointment with a family medicine physician, please call 1 – 888-MY-DMG-DR (1−888−693−6437) or schedule an appointment online.
- When I first decided to give up alcohol, I didn’t see many benefits heading my way.
- For example, an individual may not care about serious future health risks, but the idea of sleeping better may appeal to them.
- Moreover, it is a great way of making friends and easing back into your social life.
21 is the legal age for purchasing and using alcohol and recreational cannabis in California. And there are numerous other alcohol and drug-related policies and laws to know, (e.g. fake ID, open container, public nuisance). For https://ecosoberhouse.com/article/alcohol-vs-drugs-comparison-of-addictions/ many students, breaking the law goes against their values and carries more risk of getting into trouble than it’s worth. It’s also one of the most dangerous drugs, with over 10 million people becoming addicted to it every year.